• MyTax

Irish Tax Rebates : How to claim your tax rebate

Updated: May 27, 2020

Subscribe to our mailing list to receive updates on areas such as cashflow management, tax updates, business tips, general management and much more. We are one of the few mailing lists that provide SME's with Irish Centric news, information and tips.

Table of Contents

- Introduction

- Step 1: Register a MyAccount on Revenue

- Step 2: Login to MyAccount

- Step 3: Choose the relevant tax year

- Step 4: Enter personal details

- Step 5: Confirm your income is correct

- Step 6: Adding in credits to reduce tax payable (including what can be claimed)

A. Health Expenses

B. You and Your Family

C. Your Jobs

- Step 7: Review and finalise

- Tax relief upon marriage

- Top 3 reliefs utilised in Ireland

- Irish Tax Rebate Template Calculator


Claiming a tax rebate in Ireland is not difficult for PAYE workers. We know it can be a bit

daunting to go through the mechanics of what is required, figuring out what you can claim for and what you can’t and ultimately applying for a refund from The Revenue Commissioners. Our guide takes you through the process step-by-step, outlines what you can and cannot claim and gives you a handy template to figure out if you are due a refund or not.

A lot of agencies will charge you 10 – 13% or a minimum of €30 per claim. It may not seem a lot but their fees can significantly reduce your take home rebate. We’ll show you how to do it yourself – or you can fill out our form here and we’ll do it for a fixed fee of €24.99, regardless of how large your rebate is. And remember, no rebate means no fee.

If you want to receive a free template to calculate if you are due an Irish Tax Rebate prior to completing the below steps just follow this link.

Step 1 – Register a MyAccount on Revenue

In order to begin the process of claiming a tax rebate you need to register for a Revenue Myaccount on https://www.ros.ie/myaccount-web/. It is straight forward and all you require are the following;

If you have two of the following you will be able to instantly access your account;

- Irish Driving Licence Number;

- Information from your P60; or

- Information from your Income Tax notice of assessment or acknowledgement of self-assessment

If you don’t happen to have two pieces of evidence, Revenue will issue you a password via the post. This is the first step toward getting your tax rebate.

Step 2 – Login to MyAccount

The next step is to log into your Myaccount through the following link https://www.ros.ie/myaccount-web/sign_in.html?execution=e5s1. You will need to enter your PPS Number, Date of Birth and your pre-set password.

When you login you will be greeted with the below screen (You may be asked for certain details prior to this – fill in these relatively straightforward questions). You are entitled to claim rebates for 4 years prior to the current year. For example, in 2020 you are entitled to claim refunds for 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. Click on the “Review Your Tax” button, as highlighed below.

Step 3: Choose which tax year you want to claim a rebate

You need to select which year you wish to apply for a tax refund and proceed by clicking edit. If you are claiming for multiple years, you need to do this for each year you are claiming.

Step 4: Personal Details

Revenue will request several personal details from yourself;

- Civil Status (Married / Not-Married);

- Dependent Children (Generally children under the age of 18 or some other wise incapacitated);

- Did you hold a medical card for 2019?;

- Are you resident (Have you been in Ireland for at least a total of 183 days in the year in question or 280 days or more in the year & the year prior);

- Are you ordinarily resident (If you have been tax resident in Ireland for three consecutive tax years, you become ordinarily resident from the beginning of the fourth tax year);

- Are you domiciled in Ireland (A complex legal term – generally this is where you are from or born);

- Email; and

- Bank Details (Revenue will refund into this bank account)

Step 5: Confirming Income

Due to PAYE Modernisation, the next screen will show you your PAYE Income for the year in question. Generally, no action is needed here as the information is correct. However, it is advised you double check the information.

The next screen will be as below. You are required to enter any other income you have received throughout the year e.g. Social Welfare, Maintenance Payments, Dividends etc. Generally, your taxable non-PAYE income should not exceed €5,000 and your gross non-PAYE income €30,000. If it does, you are required to complete a Form 11 and you may be liable for preliminary tax thtough the self assessment system.

If you have no additional income, continue to the next screen.

Step 6: Adding in Credits to reduce Tax Payable

The next step is to claim the relevant tax credits – this will reduce the amount of tax you’ve paid and will ultimately result in your tax rebate. The available credits are broken into section and we will discuss each in turn.

Step 6.1 : Health Expenses

A. Health Expenses

You are entitled to claim health expenses for yourself and any individual where you have paid the expense. We will now go through the common types of health expenses you may claim.

Doctor Visits

What is it?

You are entitled to claim 20% relief on visits to a GP, Doctor or for consultancy fees / treatment in a hospital.

Where to include?

These are entered within “Other Medical Expenses” at the gross value e.g. full amount paid to GP.

Records required?

You must maintain a receipt or invoice from your GP or hospital.


What is it?

You are entitled to claim 20% for medicines prescribed by your Doctor, Dentist or Consultant.

Where to include?

These are entered within “Other Medical Expenses” at the gross value e.g. full amount paid for prescription.

Records required?

Your pharmacist can provide you with a summarised prescription.

Dental Work

What is it?

Non-routine dental work can be claimed as a tax relief e.g. root canal, crowns etc. You cannot claim for fillings etc. Further details can be found here :https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/health-and-age/health-expenses/dental-expenses.aspx

Where to include?

Include within Non-Routine Dental Expenses

Records required?

Your dentist must provide you with a Med 2 form.

Other Medical Expenses

The following are also allowable medical expense and are to be included within the “Other Medical Expenses” Category. Please note certain conditions apply to each;

- Laser Eye Treatment

- Fertility Treatment

- Maternity Care

- X-Rays & Other Diagnostic tests

- Physiotherapy, Acupuncture, Podiatry & Chiropody

- Orthopaedic Care

- Psychotherapy or Psychiatry

- Speech & Language Therapy

- Educational Psychological Assessment

- Dietary Restrictions due to Medical Conditions (e.g. Purchases Gluten free products as a Coeliac)


Any refunds received from other parties such as Health Insurance should be included in “Dental / Medical Expenses Refunded”. These will be excluded from your claim.

B. Nursing Home Expenses

You may claim income tax relief on nursing home expenses paid by you. You can claim this relief at your highest rate of tax if the nursing home provides 24-hour on-site nursing care. You are allowed a higher rate tax deduction for Nursing Home fees which would be at 40%.

C. Medical Insurance Relief

There is relief at source on Medical / Dental insurance when an individual purchase this policy directly. However, when an employer pays for the policy the individual pays a Benefit in Kind on the gross value of the policy. It is in those particular circumstance when an employee can claim Medical Insurance Relief.

D. Blind Persons Tax Credit

If you are blind or you have impaired vision during the tax year, you can claim the Blind Person's Tax Credit. If you are married or in a civil partnership and you are both blind, you receive a doubled tax credit.